Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Coast & Cornwall Day 5 - Roseland Peninsular & Falmouth

Quite a few short stops today, with plenty of variety of things to see. I started off with a short detour off the main route between St. Austall and St. Mawes to visit the peculiar round houses in Veryan. I didn't know they existed until I saw them on a local postcard last night in Mevagissey - it's always worth looking at postcards for inspiration of places to visit! Here's one of my efforts:

[Round House in Veryan - not sure, but I think they may be Alms Houses]

Heading back to the main road, I was distracted by a lovely old Water Mill at Melinsey which had excellent tea for elevenses, and friendly birds who were after my cake crumbs:

[Female Blackbird at Melinsey Mill]

The next stop was the lovely church at St. Just in Roseland, which is situated right on the side of a creek of the River Fal. According to the information inside, the church was consecrated by the Bishop of Exeter in 1261. It has the most peculiar churchyard I've ever seen, with the gravestones ranged in steep terraces and palm trees growing happily around. Very picturesque when the tide is right, but unfortunately, it was out and the creek was just a load of unattractive mud. However, inside was very pretty and it looked like they'd had a wedding last weekend as the lovely flowers were still on display:

[Interior, St. Just in Roseland Church]

I finally made it to St. Mawes by lunchtime, and enjoyed my first Cornish Pasty in Cornwall - overlooking the bay. I then took the King Harry Ferry short cut across the River Fal, rather than taking the long way back (it looks like a detour of about 30 miles on the map!) and on down to Falmouth for the evening.

Having found my B&B, I went for a walk around the harbour, and the light was very nice after dinner:

[I've left my yacht in Falmouth Harbour]

See a few more photos from today in my Flickrstream.

No comments: